Mailroom of the UNRRA “Missing Persons” Bureau, 1945
The caption on the reverse side of the above image, taken on Nov. 19, 1945 and released on Jan. 28, 1946 by the Bureau of Public Relations of the US War Department, reads as follows:
LETTERS POUR INTO “MISSING PERSONS” BUREAU AS UNRRA TRIES TO BRING TOGETHER WAR-SEPARATED FAMILIES. THE MAIL ROOM OF THE UNRRA CENTRE TRACING BUREAU RECEIVES THOUSANDS OF LETTERS DAILY FROM PEOPLE TRYING TO PIECE TOGETHER FAMILIES FROM THE MORE THAN A MILLION FORMER SLAVE LABORERS AND PRISONERS OF THE NAZIS STILL REMAINING IN GERMANY. THE UNRRA BUREAU SERVES AS A MISSING PERSONS AGENCY FOR DISPLACED PERSONS IN WESTERN GERMANY, WITH HEADQUARTERS IN FRANKFURT.
More images such as this one, that were collected in preparation for the “No Home To Go To” exhibition, can be viewed in the Baltic DP Archive on this website.