Churches were among the first buildings erected in Lithuanian American communities. In some locations Lithuanians initially shared a church with other ethnic groups. But, having a priest and church of their own was a first and very high priority. Communities raised the funds for their churches and, in many instances, enlisted the services of Lithuanian craftsmen and artists in the design and decoration of the church. In most cases, Lithuanian churches were adorned with both religious as well as patriotic symbols and motifs. The parish church often had a school attended by children during the week as well as on Saturdays for learning the Lithuanian language and culture. Churches also served as community and social centers, hosting weddings, baptisms, funerals, and other commemorative religious, personal, and patriotic occasions.
Founded in 1904, in Chicago Stockyards area, this parish served the religious and educational needs of the families who lived in what is called the “Back of the Yards” neighborhood. The stockyards closed in the 1970s, and the parish fell on hard times. Eventually, the parish merged with a neighbor, the Immaculate Heart of Mary church. In 2004, the parish celebrated its 100 year anniversary.